Friday, January 10, 2014

December Student of the Month: Gerald Mallison

“If you don’t reach, there’s no point in trying,” said Gerald Mallison when asked what his favorite motto is. Gerald is currently a freshman at Metropolitan Business Academy. Being honored as a student of the month “feels important because it’s my first year here and I’m still trying to figure some things out, so it’s a big deal to me. I asked Mr. Mallison how he contributed to a positive school experience and he replied with the upbeat answer of “I contribute to a positive classroom by being energetic towards my academics and by being a leader in my classroom.” Gerald was pretty honest when he was asked how he contributes to positive teamwork, in the classroom: “usually I’m open minded to other peoples idea’s and I think I work well with my teammates but you would have to ask them,” We chuckled as I stumbled while asking him about his extracurricular activities. I didn’t realize how involved he was in our school community! Gerald could have talked for hours about all of the clubs and activities he partakes in but I limited him to three. The first club that he was excited to share with me was the film club that he attends on Wednesdays. He enjoys the film club because, “it helps me expand my horizons on what films I would now consider watching.” The second club he spoke about with enthusiasm was “Math Club” hosted by Ms. Angelica on Thursdays “I like it because we get to travel to other schools and compete in math competitions. Some people may find it nerdy, but I find it cool!” Finally, he is excited to start in the basketball club. I asked him what he expects to learn: “I expect to learn the basics of basketball and how to improve my cooperation with others.” The date for the basketball club has yet to be announced. Reflecting on these activities, Gerald stated they have “helped me make friends, who don’t mind helping me out once in a while whether it is studying together or just hanging out.  This reporter has personally witnessed him excel in his Arabic course, where I see him demonstrate his teamwork skills all the time, never shying away from helping others to achieve their language proficiency. Congratulations Gerald, you deserve it!  

- Lola 









No comments:

Post a Comment